Buying a Property Process in Turkey
Buying a property in Turkey is a simple process, but it does differ from the process in other countries. Below is a summary of the typical process.
- Once a sale is agreed, your lawyer will check ownership and title deeds. Typically, the seller requires a deposit to take the property off the market during this process. Generally, the deposit is only refundable if there is a problem with the title deeds or the military refuse you permission to buy the property (see below).
- Turkish building standards have improved in the last few years, and the local authorities ensure that all new properties conform to these standards. If you are buying a new property, you will probably not require a structural survey. However, if you are buying an old property, or would like a structural survey anyway, you will need the services of a structural engineer, as there no chartered surveyors in Turkey.
- When the above checks are complete, a contract should be drawn up. You will need to have this translated before being signed and notarised. You will also need to have your passport translated at this time.
- In Turkey, foreigners cannot buy property in certain areas, such as military zones. For this reason, the military must approve all purchases. Paradise Property or your lawyer will make an application for military approval of the purchase on your behalf. You will need to provide to passport photos for this. The military check typically takes 2-3 months. It is highly unlikely that the military will refuse permission.
- If you are not staying in Turkey during this period, you should give Power of Attorney to your lawyer, or someone that you trust. This enables them to complete the formalities when they receive approval for the purchase. We will be happy to help you arrange Power of Attorney with the Notary General in Kaş.
- You should also obtain a Turkish tax number and open a bank account. We will be happy to assist you with this. Most Turkish banks offer online banking, making the transfer of funds between accounts a simple process.
- When military clearance of the purchase is received, the paperwork needs completing. This is a simple process, and you, or your representative, should do this at the title deeds office in Kaş.
- On completion of the paperwork, you should transfer the funds to the seller.
- After the completion of the transfer of the title deeds, the property transfer tax and Paradise Property buyer’s commission, both 3%, are due for payment.
- Finally, you need to have the electricity and water accounts transferred to you. We will be pleased to assist you with this.
- That’s it! The property is yours.